Chocolate Bar Art Competition
Animate Arts CIC is a brilliant, Faversham based organisation, working to bring communities, schools and people together through creative projects. For 20 years, their inspirational projects have helped thousands of people boost their wellbeing, learn new skills and connect with their local communities.To mark their 20th birthday, Animate Arts CIC has teamed up with Faversham’s very own chocolate factory Kakawa Artisan Chocolate & Co Ltd, based at Brogdale Farm to create three brand new bars of chocolate to enjoy and help fundraise which will not only support the vital work of Animate Art’s projects, but inspire creativity in all! The three handmade bars will feature as a special edition in Kakawa Artisan Chocolate & Co’s range, each made with different, delicious toppings or inclusions and flavours, beautifully presented in unique and artist illustrated boxes.
Two of the bars will feature artworks by professional artists from Animate Arts CIC, and the third will be created by a local young artist from Swale – the winner of this art competition! This competition is to inspire a new flavour for this milk chocolate bar and to create a matching artwork for the box! This is the ultimate Willy Wonka style, and creative competition.
Good luck! …. we can’t wait to see your design and hear your recipe ideas!
WHO CAN ENTER?
To enter you must be aged 5-11 years old and living in, or attending a school in the Swale district, Kent (Faversham, Sittingbourne, Sheerness and surrounding villages/towns within the borough)
HOW TO ENTER
- You must submit your recipe idea + box design, using the official entry form. You can download this below.
- PART A: Create your chocolate bar recipe What would be your ultimate flavoured chocolate bar? You can suggest any single or combination of flavours/toppings or inclusions as your heart desires, to add to your milk chocolate base. Would you create a spin on a salt ‘n’ vinegar chocolate bar, perhaps a strawberries and cream bar, or maybe a multicoloured confetti bar, full of sprinkles! Be sure to write your recipe creation on the official Entry Form.
- PART B: Design artwork for the box. Create an artwork that shows-off and adds that WOW factor to your delicious recipe and choice of flavours. Art works should be submitted on 1 x A4 paper, along with your Entry Form. You can use your choice of pencils, felt tips or any other medium that you want, but the final artwork must be flat so that it can be scanned at the printers! Be bold, colourful and creative!
- Recipe and artwork must be made by the entrant.
- Send your submission to Animate Arts CIC at the following address: The Alexander Centre 17 Preston Street Faversham Kent, ME13 8NZ (If you want to hand-deliver your entry, there will be a post box in the reception area)
- Entries must be received by Wednesday 12 October, 5pm.
- If you would like your artwork returned, please include a self-addressed, prepaid envelope.
WHAT WILL THE PRIZE BE?
- Their chocolate recipe created and their artwork transformed into the wrapper for the chocolate bar!
- Receive a VIP invitation to visit the chocolate factory of Kakawa Artisan & Co Ltd at Brogdale Farm to make their chocolate bar with Kakawa’s very own Willy Wonka inspired Chocolatier!
- A hamper of chocolate and arts & crafts goodies
- PLUS their school will receive a free membership bundle to the Animate Art’s amazing Art Builders programme which will further benefit all the staff and pupils in their school.
Two runners-up will each receive a prize of chocolate and crafts, along with their school receiving membership to Art Builders 2023.
The Inspiration behind Kakawa
CEO, Chocolatier, business man and founder of Kakawa by day - socialist, nature lover and foodie by night.
I’m passionate about creating something new, more than just ordinary - most of all, making it taste great and having fun with it!
I feel a recipe is only a theme, a tune which anyone can play, but add some inspiration each time with a different variation!
My weekends mainly consist of winding down the busy week with leisurely strolls through the countryside of Kent, culinary creations, and socialising with everyone whenever I get the chance!I pride myself on having accomplished, (and smashed!) many of the goals I have set myself, continuously setting the bar higher for myself, and always striving to achieve more!
I leave no stone unturned and have worked (very!) hard to get where I am today - Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it’s still standing, loud and proud for everyone to see!
Many people say dreams do not become your reality, but I say, you can sure as hell work your hardest to prove them wrong - I did, and I'd never look back - onwards and upwards is my motto, build your plan, stick to it and the world can be yours!
Since I was a child, (and after watching many, many episodes of The Apprentice and being so inspired by how Lord Sugar achieved all he has in business) all I dreamt about was having my very own business within the food sector and more recently, surpassing the chain brands both in being a leading brand in the chocolate world, but most importantly, in taste!
After being in the food industry for quite some time (19 years to be exact!), one evening, Something just clicked, suddenly realising that this was my time, my chance and immediately I needed to address my dreams, after maintaining others for so long - it was then that I decided to make a go of it.
I made a start with a very small number of slabs (3 flavours), and very quickly word spread about this ‘new chocolate’ being ‘the best I’ve ever tasted’
As the interest in my chocolate and my story continued to grow, so did the ideas and the range of products.It was then that I realised, without a doubt, that I could in fact not only make my dreams come true, but surpass all expectations in the process!
Now, fast forward to 2022, a good few years of hard work and patience, we now offer in excess of 200 handmade chocolate products within our collections, a selection of which we were fortunate enough to showcase in one of the high streets top tier retailers in the lead up to Christmas 2021!
Driving me to continue to grow, and achieve my ultimate goal of being one of the industry leaders within the UK independent chocolate market.
With all this in mind, I want to also show, particularly young entrepreneurs, that your dreams are worth chasing!
You can start your very own business from your kitchen table, with nothing more than a pen and paper - and in my case, chocolate!
Believe in yourself, to believe in a better future.
JJ - Founder & CEO Kakawa Artisan Chocolate & Co Ltd